In honor of 12-time Olympic Swim medalist Natalie Coughlin, I’m sharing her delicious recipe for Leek and Chickpea Soup. It’s easy to prepare, tastes delicious and it’s healthy.
Besides being an Olympic athlete, Natalie is an avid home cook, urban farmer, amateur photographer, sports fan, food lover and Dancing With The Stars Alumna.
Leek and Chickpea Soup
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed into 1 1/2″ squares
- 1 tbs. butter
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 5 medium leeks, outer skins removed, sliced lengthwise, rinsed thoroughly and finely sliced crosswise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cover potato in water and boil for 30 minutes until done.
- Drain potato. Add butter and olive oil to large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add leeks and garlic and a good pinch of salt.
- Cook until tender, stirring 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and potatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree soup, if desired.Add remaining broth, plus Parmesan cheese to taste.
- Serve in bowls garnished with Parmesan, freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.